Wednesday 13 November 2019

Manaiakalani Film Festival - The Making of

The idea for the film came as a flash... What makes us human?... Our speech? Our thinking?...Not quite. It's our emotions! Psychologist Paul Ekman had a curious idea: what are the basic emotions that anyone in this world feel no matter their gender, age, culture, or religion? After a long and exhausting study, he concluded that there were six basic emotions: anger, disgusted, fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise.

Now it came the time to find out what all these emotions represented for my students. So, I gathered the information, namely: what made them feel each emotion; what is the facial expression of each emotion; where do they feel it in their body; how do they handle the negative emotions; how would they recognise the emotions in other people; what colour would they associate to each emotion. I was pleasantly surprised and privileged that they were open and keen to share their experiences. And that was how the ideas for the scenarios for each emotion came up.

Filming was an extraordinary experience, the students were amazing. I felt lucky that I had great colleagues that helped me and that I learnt a lot from anytime I had difficulties with editing, special visual effects, or any technical information.

This film offered me the possibility to work with different students and I am grateful for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Buckets" to 10

Today we had another practice to Basic facts to 10.